It’s chilling that people drive at 81 mph on the motorway – says IAM Roadsmart

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
akirk

Re: It’s chilling that people drive at 81 mph on the motorway – says IAM Roadsmart

Postby akirk » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:21 am

Horse wrote:
Ohlins wrote: Speeding is responsible for around 12 deaths each day on UK roads

Serious Q, is that actually a fact? Presumably by analysis of STATS19 data?

Gov.uk says:
"There were an estimated 1,390 reported road deaths in the year ending June 2021"

12 x 365 = 4,380.

Hmmm ...

definitely nothing like that - the estimate for when speeding actually causes death (i.e. above the speed limit, after all, every car in an accident will have had a certain degree of speed) is c. 4%-5% at the low end and about 10% at the high end, so about 0.38% of a death per day due to excess speed... or about 1/30th of the amount they are saying ;)

Triquet

Re: It’s chilling that people drive at 81 mph on the motorway – says IAM Roadsmart

Postby Triquet » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:36 am

akirk wrote:
Horse wrote:
Ohlins wrote: Speeding is responsible for around 12 deaths each day on UK roads

Serious Q, is that actually a fact? Presumably by analysis of STATS19 data?

Gov.uk says:
"There were an estimated 1,390 reported road deaths in the year ending June 2021"

12 x 365 = 4,380.

Hmmm ...

definitely nothing like that - the estimate for when speeding actually causes death (i.e. above the speed limit, after all, every car in an accident will have had a certain degree of speed) is c. 4%-5% at the low end and about 10% at the high end, so about 0.38% of a death per day due to excess speed... or about 1/30th of the amount they are saying ;)

And of that 1390 how many were on motorways (and possibly dual carriageways)?

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:17 am

Sorry, but I'm with Strangely Brown. It doesn't matter what your motives/interest are, if you're remaining a member, that's continuing to support an organisation whose views you seem out of sync with. See also cognitive dissonance.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:42 am

Did I misread? "It’s chilling people that drive at 81 mph on the motorway" – says IAM Roadsmart. Good show!
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Ohlins

Postby Ohlins » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:43 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:All we can do is carry on voicing our disapproval where possible.

I believe the best action is to email or write to Antony Kildare (new Interim CEO) and Stuart Donald (Chairman) at IAM HQ. I encourage everyone to do so.

IAM Roadsmart
1 Albany Place
Hyde Way
Welwyn Garden City AL7 3BT

Email: support@iam.org.uk

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:59 pm

Gareth wrote:Did I misread? "It’s chilling people that drive at 81 mph on the motorway" – says IAM Roadsmart. Good show!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:02 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:Other avenues to "spread the word" are available.

Although I've heard the same said about RoADAR and RoSPA, tests supporting HQ's statements, etc.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

martine

Postby martine » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:33 pm

Oh dear....I usually broadly agree with Policy director: Neil Gregg but...the latest press release is just plain factually incorrect. I've left a message and hopefully it will be corrected quickly...but the damage is already done damit. :cry:
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

martine

Postby martine » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:37 pm

Another way of making your thoughts clear to IAM RoadSmart is to put a comment on the Press Release page:
https://www.iamroadsmart.com/media-poli ... -years-ago
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:56 pm

martine wrote:Another way of making your thoughts clear to IAM RoadSmart is to put a comment on the Press Release page:
https://www.iamroadsmart.com/media-poli ... -years-ago

I get a 404 on that page. Maybe it's gone already?

Return to “General Chat”