Fuel saving tips

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Horse

Fuel saving tips

Postby Horse » Thu May 09, 2024 2:10 pm

Does this make sense?

If you drive a plug-in vehicle, make sure you maximise the potential by charging the battery. The increased weight of the vehicle will mean that, in the long run, the actual mpg will be far short of the claims. But over short journeys and by using electric where possible, your running costs will reduce.

1. Should it include 'hybrid' after plug-in?

2. Claims? ICE consumption typically falls short of manufacturer claims. Are EVs substantially worse? Even then, is it the vehicle's weight that affects range*

* removing excess, unnecessary, weight is another tip
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Re: Fuel saving tips

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu May 09, 2024 6:55 pm

All those extra electrons weigh a lot :lol:
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Another Bill

Postby Another Bill » Thu May 09, 2024 7:17 pm

I didn’t actually know that electricity was measured in gallons?

More seriously, strikes me that the biggest difference between theoretical and real-world range ICE vs EV is you’ll rarely want to exhaust any vehicle’s range. You’ll keep maybe 50 miles slack, in case when you get where you’re going the pumps are dry, or the power’s off. In an ICE car with full tank and dash saying 500 miles til empty, 50 miles slack reduces the useful range by 10%. In a fully charged EV with (say) 200 miles theoretical range, it’s a much more significant 25% difference between theoretical and useful.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Fri May 10, 2024 6:56 am

Reads like it was written by someone who wanted to provide helpful advice but didn't wanted to be bothered with details.

In my somewhat jaundiced view, that suggests they fit in well with most of the population, which is probably their target audience.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri May 10, 2024 3:23 pm

Gareth wrote:Reads like it was written by someone who wanted to provide helpful advice but didn't wanted to be bothered with details.

In my somewhat jaundiced view, that suggests they fit in well with most of the population.

https://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/iam-roads ... ces-483538

;)

Another Bill

Postby Another Bill » Fri May 10, 2024 7:28 pm

Horse wrote:
Gareth wrote:Reads like it was written by someone who wanted to provide helpful advice but didn't wanted to be bothered with details.

In my somewhat jaundiced view, that suggests they fit in well with most of the population.

https://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/iam-roads ... ces-483538

;)

From that link, “Try pressing more lightly on the accelerator; often, you can maintain the same speed with less pressure on the pedal.”

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Sat May 11, 2024 8:44 pm

IAM, or whatever it's called now trying to stay relevant, to protect those HQ jobs.
Fuel saving? Surely all of us can do that when we want to?

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sun May 12, 2024 1:14 pm

I watched Jay Leno showing off his new Spectre yesterday and was struck by one part of it that made no sense.

He said that the regen braking was so good that he had more range in the car when he got back than when he set off. Assuming he never charged it then I think RR may have just invented perpetual motion. The ultimate in fuel saving.

jont-

Postby jont- » Sun May 12, 2024 2:39 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:I watched Jay Leno showing off his new Spectre yesterday and was struck by one part of it that made no sense.

He said that the regen braking was so good that he had more range in the car when he got back than when he set off. Assuming he never charged it then I think RR may have just invented perpetual motion. The ultimate in fuel saving.

I've done that with various cars. Do a track day. Fill up. Car says range ~100 miles. Drive 100 miles home. Range now ~200+ miles :D

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun May 12, 2024 8:20 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:He said that the regen braking was so good that he had more range in the car when he got back than when he set off.

There's a quarry in Switzerland that uses electric hail trucks. They're loaded at the top of a hill, emptied at the bottom.

End the day with more charge.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/11 ... -recharged

Return to “General Chat”