IAM Thruxton Young Drivers Skills Day

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
waremark

Re: IAM Thruxton Young Drivers Skills Day

Postby waremark » Tue May 07, 2024 10:55 pm

I think it would accelerate brake wear but other components would probably cope.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Wed May 15, 2024 10:29 am

I experimented the other day in my automatic Golf R mark 8. I kept some throttle on whilst braking and then gently eased off the brake. What I found though was that the power would suddenly kick in. After playing around for some time I came to the conclusion that the power was being cut whilst braking and at some point on easing off the brake the power would suddenly be switched on.
Normally for LFB I would ease on throttle at the same time as easing off the brake,

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Sat May 18, 2024 2:09 pm

jcochrane wrote:
With my DCT automatic it is very clever and will protect itself. So if in manual mode it will change up or down the gearbox to protect the transmission. So I would imagine that the throttle pedal would become inactive whilst braking, similar to what happens in a manual Skoda. If correct this might explain how Reg Local can press the two pedals at the same time. As he comes off the brake, at some point, the electronics will reactivate the throttle pedal, With it already depressed he will instantly get the revs appropriate to the pedal depression and gear/speed.

I had a DCT auto for a while I hated it My drive is on a slope with the garage at the top in a fluid clutch auto I use the brake to moderate the speed reversing up hill. With the DCT touch the brake and lose all drive not at all helpful especially whit not a lot of room to manoeuvre.

Driving an Auto I always Left foot brake.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

Return to “General Chat”