IAM Thruxton Young Drivers Skills Day

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Gareth

Re: IAM Thruxton Young Drivers Skills Day

Postby Gareth » Thu May 02, 2024 1:33 pm

We have older Skoda Fabia and Octavia, not sure if cruise control is a factor although I read that somewhere, when brake pedal pressed, accelerator is cut after between a quarter and half a second, which reportedly makes heel and toe a bit hit and miss.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu May 02, 2024 2:30 pm

Horse wrote:Serious question: is it the case that pressing both pedals can cause issues in some cars?

Not sure what you mean about "causing issues", but it's very common now for brake input to cut the throttle. Mostly provoked by US court cases where drivers have claimed they're mashing the brake but the car keeps accelerating (ignoring that 99%+ of cars on the roads wouldn't be powerful enough to do that, but the driver would rather claim that than accept they mashed the wrong pedal and then paniced :roll: )

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu May 02, 2024 9:30 pm

jont- wrote:
Horse wrote:Serious question: is it the case that pressing both pedals can cause issues in some cars?

Not sure what you mean about "causing issues", but it's very common now for brake input to cut the throttle.

/\ That :gear:

So, presumably, left foot braking and H&T will gradually become impossible to even try.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

waremark

Postby waremark » Thu May 02, 2024 11:27 pm

Some manufacturers including VW cut the power if you push the brake at the same time as the accelerator. Maddening for those who like to use heel and toe!

waremark

Postby waremark » Thu May 02, 2024 11:28 pm

Sorry to be late on this one, posted before reading page 2.

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri May 03, 2024 7:15 am

Horse wrote:
jont- wrote:

Not sure what you mean about "causing issues", but it's very common now for brake input to cut the throttle.

So, presumably, left foot braking and H&T will gradually become impossible to even try.

Why will left foot braking become impossible? Using it in conjunction with gas is only one possible use case...

Aren't most new cars auto (never mind EVs), so H&T becomes moot, but two pedal driving shouldn't have to die. Even many manuals now come with auto rev-match (I suspect to protect gearboxes from cackfooted users, as it seems to be more common in performance models).

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri May 03, 2024 9:41 pm

jont- wrote:
Horse wrote:
jont- wrote:

Why will left foot braking become impossible? Using it in conjunction with gas is only one possible use case...

Aren't most new cars auto (never mind EVs), so H&T becomes moot, but two pedal driving shouldn't have to die. Even many manuals now come with auto rev-match (I suspect to protect gearboxes from cackfooted users, as it seems to be more common in performance models).

Yes, my mistake. Should have been a '?' On the end.

Is there really a need to H&T, or left foot brake, on-road? I honestly don't know.

My background is bikes where, typically, it's possible to use the throttle, brakes (front &/or rear), clutch and gear simultaneously.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Tue May 07, 2024 7:19 am

Horse wrote:
waremark wrote:Many of us brake with the left foot in autos. Once you're used to it you have good subtlety of control with the left foot.

Probably not the first time you ever drive one :D

Serious question: is it the case that pressing both pedals can cause issues in some cars?

A colleague had an older Polo. Dodgy brake light switch was causing the accelerator to be cut.

With my DCT automatic it is very clever and will protect itself. So if in manual mode it will change up or down the gearbox to protect the transmission. So I would imagine that the throttle pedal would become inactive whilst braking, similar to what happens in a manual Skoda. If correct this might explain how Reg Local can press the two pedals at the same time. As he comes off the brake, at some point, the electronics will reactivate the throttle pedal, With it already depressed he will instantly get the revs appropriate to the pedal depression and gear/speed.

waremark

Postby waremark » Tue May 07, 2024 8:50 am

No, I believe that the vehicle in which Reg was pressing both brake and accelerator pedals at the same time does not cancel the accelerator in those circumstances.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Tue May 07, 2024 8:53 am

waremark wrote:No, I believe that the vehicle in which Reg was pressing both brake and accelerator pedals at the same time does not cancel the accelerator in those circumstances.

Do you think then that this could cause wear or problems with the transmission over time.

Return to “General Chat”